Friday, February 27, 2009

Feeling Springy!

 


Crocus



I know it's still a little too early to get excited about spring but I can't help myself. It happens every year once we get the first spell of milder weather and a bit of sunshine.

As the weather has been kind I've been spending a bit of time in the garden. I have my potatoes chitting and they are coming along nicely, ready for planting next month.  I did my first lot of sowing last week -  corn salad, peppers, tomatoes, leeks, cabbage, Brussels sprouts and chillis. So I have made a small dent in the 130 (no joke!) seed packets I have. The cabbage seedlings are already up. 

We have a lot to do in the garden this year. Our old New Zealand  boxes for composting have had it, they are completely rotten. I can't decide what to go for next but I know I definitely don't want wooden bins, lovely as they might look. I've been thinking about

  • Link-a-bord   + It the same size as one of our current boxes and should be durable.


                                          - I  worry it would be too awkward to empty or turn.

  •   Earthmakers +It makes compost in as little as 12 weeks (allegedly)


                                           -It is very small , so i'd need more than 2 and not exactly pretty.

  •  Komp 800      + We can buy this through the council, it's a reasonable size, should be easy to get to the compost


                                          -   Again not pretty but at least it would be camouflaged? The shape of it is not ideal for fitting neatly in the corner.

If anyone has any experience using  any of the above do let me know.

 

On a crafty note here's what i've been up to the past few Sundays

Dress

 

It's Dorothy's costume for the dance show next month.  This is for one of the older girls so thankfully fitted my dress form perfectly, but of course now Millie wants one too - no surprise there.

She'll have to wait though, I'll be spending this Sunday making several swishy skirts in very slippery-not-nice-to-sew fabric, wish me luck!

No comments: